Lorelai Blue

Summer sewing plans

As usual, my “what to sew” list is about to get out of control. Luckily, there are many things motivating me to sew this summer. Firstly: I’m having a summer holiday! Although I will be working part-time there’s still more time and less stress than when school is on. Or maybe it’s just a question of attitude. And secondly: a bit of group pressure! I’m taking part in Ravelry’s Sew Obsessed  Group’s sew-along again and the theme for June’s challenge is “dresses”. Since most of my sewing plans revolve around dresses anyway I decided to take full advantage of the sew-along and aim to complete two dresses.

The first dress for the challenge will be self-drafted, inspired by this vintage girls’ dress:

Isn’t it cute? I especially like the bodice. I’m thinking I’ll make a dirndl-type skirt instead of  a circle skirt and tone down the “puffiness” of the sleeves a bit. There’s a nice summery (although black) checkered cotton in my stash that would suit this pattern well.

For the second dress I’m planning to use this (60’s?) vintage pattern I found at a flea market last year:

Swedish vintage sewing pattern.

I haven’t used vintage sewing patterns before so this will be interesting. So far I’ve been frustrated with every single contemporary sewing pattern I’ve tried – big pattern companies tend to include way too much ease even in tight-fitting garments, and there are rarely patterns designed for curvier figures. But here we appear to have one! At least the body measurements given at the back of the pattern envelope are actually quite close to mine. I have heard the sizing in vintage patterns runs smaller than contemporary ones, but judging by the enormous amounts of ease I wouldn’t be that sure. If I sew from a recent Burda pattern I always have to pick a smaller size than my measurements would dictate anyway.

I’m not sure which fabric I’ll use for this one. There’s a lovely floral print cotton and viscose blend waiting in my cupboard, but it’s very flimsy and drapey and looking at the picture on the pattern envelope this dress might need a bit more “body”. Hmm.

Other potential projects I’ll make if I have the time and energy:

  • Sewing a corset from the pattern I drafted a while ago
  • Sewing a matching skirt for the play suit top
  • Fixing some old UFOs and badly sewn garments (seriously – they are hilariously hideous and worthy of their own post even for a few laughs)
  • Making a birthday present for my twin sister
  • Finishing a few embroidery projects
  • Practicing sewing PVC and leather
  • Designing a burlesque outfit and starting to build a performance!

Regarding the latter: I will be attending Bettie Blackheart’s burlesque workshop about building a performance. I’m pretty excited about it – even if I’ll never actually get on stage myself. We shall see. After all, there’s a Finnish proverb: well planned is half done!

 

Advertisements
This entry was published on June 5, 2014 at 11:51 pm. It’s filed under Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: